Tuesday, May 27, 2008

lol-aj.livejournal.com presents: MY FAMILY

a normal family ^^^

Would you like to know moar about the family ties that probably play some part in what makes AJ tick? Of course you would! This weekend I visited the familia in my fine home state of Rhode Island and here are some highlights:

  • My mom got into an altercation with a protester outside of Providence's Planned Parenthood. She and my younger sister were actually going to the bakery next door, but seeing a mother-daughter pair approaching, the protesters apparently made some assumptions and starting shoving dead baby pamphlets in their faces. As the exchange escalated my mom apparently lost her temper and shouted into the guy's face, "I'LL TELL YOU SOMETHING--I'M A CHRISTIAN, AND YOU KNOW WHAT?? IF JESUS WERE HERE HE WOULD NOT BE DOING THIS!!"
  • I am reminded that gender ambiguity is something of a family legacy when my father discusses the merits of Grand Junction's cowboy bars with my aunt's newish husband. He concedes that said bars have a real appeal but points out that as a longhair in the 1970s, his most frequent exchange with the cowboys of rural Colorado centered on the question (here he affects his best drawl) "Are yew a boy or are yew a girl?"

1 comment:

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

It's been a while, but when I was a young thing, I was mistaken for female more than once. I always took it as a compliment.

AJ sez lolAJ FTW!!

internetz speak 4 teh politically l33t brought to you by lol-aj.blogspot.com!!!!


What should I get tattooed on my chest this summer?

About Me

AJ lives in Minneapolis and is interested in stuff that's political. AJ has a lot invested in his masculinity.

BE MY TIPSTER

email at lolajblog@gmail.com and be awsum!